This recipe for Yoghurt And Red Wine Pears is great because it combines the rich flavours of red wine, orange, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves while poaching the pears, which results in tender and flavourful fruit. The addition of toasted almonds adds a delightful crunch and the low-fat Greek yoghurt with vanilla and optional honey provides a creamy and tangy contrast to the sweetness of the pears. This dessert is a perfect balance of flavours and textures, making it a delicious treat to enjoy and absolutely perfect as a winter dish. This is a high FODMAP dish (FYI).
🍽 4 Serves | ⏱ 30 minutes
Red Wine Pears
- 500 ml red wine
- 2 orange zest and juice
- 2 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp ground)
- 3 cm ginger root peeled
- 3 cloves whole (or 2 tsp ground)
- 4 pears, peeled and cored
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 400g low fat greek yoghurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Honey (optional)
- In a small saucepan add wine, orange zest & juice and spices.
- Bring almost to a boil then add in the pears. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes, or until soft, turning regularly. Watch carefully, you may need to top up the liquid with water.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan to toast the almonds until golden brown, make sure they don’t burn!
- Combine the yoghurt, vanilla and honey in a small bowl and stir well.
- When the pears are cooked, add a few spoons of yoghurt mixture to each plate, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and place the pears on top. Drizzle a small amount of the left over liquid over the top.
💡 This recipe is gluten-free. It is not suitable for those on a low FODMAP diet. Note: the alcohol in the wine will cook off with the heat.
If you’d like to learn more or get recipes like this Yoghurt And Red Wine Pears dish in your inbox once a month, get in contact with us or hit the subscribe button…